Monday, October 4, 2010

Bird Bath Restoration

My Freecycle Bird Bath

Before After
With the hot summer two years ago we put a message on freecycle for an unwanted birdbath so that we could help our bird life make it through the very hot days. Within a day or so we picked up a very old unused bird bath in need of some TLC. Now it has taken me some time but at the weekend the restoration of the bird bath took place. The inside of the dish was well worn and very dirty so I decided to soak it first with hot water and bleach, which I did for several hours.

After the bleach treatment

Then with a scrubbing brush and a wire brush all old chipped and cracked paint was removed from both dish and pedestal, it was ready for it's makeover. Because the dish was in such poor condition I decided to re-seal it, which I hoped would make it look better and also make it easier to clean and keep clean. To seal the bowl I used Bondall- Pond Tite "Sandstone" as it is fish and bird friendly, for the pedestal I chose Wattyl Solargard Stone Finish "Organic Touch".











This project was completed over the weekend and I am very happy with the end result, all the hard work and effort were worth it to see the bird bath in my front garden...

No comments: