Monday, October 27, 2008

Summer Heat



Well summer is almost upon us and to get my garden ready I though it was time to put down some more mulch. I have a pergola down one side of my house which faces west and gets lots of afternoon sun. Although the pergola has been covered in shade cloth the ferns, orchids and cyclamen struggle with the heat when the temperature rise to 30 degrees and over. Trying to find a good quality mulch has not been easy to do, what I settled for in the end was coir. I bought 10 kg compressed block of coir once socked in water expands up to 120 litres. I am hoping by laying this mulch it will help keep in the moisture and help my plants survive the hot summer. I was quite happy with the overall effect of the mulch on the garden, it looked good when the job was complete. The colour of the coir contrasted well the the green foliage in the garden.

No comments: