Thursday, January 8, 2009

Garden Path

Garden Path leading to the Ornamental Gate

Today I made a start on my garden path leading up to the Ornamental Gate, I had already made the decision to plant Scaevola in this path. Scaevola is an Australian native ground cover that has a mass of fan shaped flowers for most of the year. As Scaevola grows well in sunny to partly shaded positions in a well drained soil they should do in this area as it is overshadowed by a large tree Agonis flexuosa.

We had to visit several nurseries and I had to buy a mixture of six inch pots and tube stock as I was unable to find quality plants in six inch pots. I bought one Scaevola White Carpet, one Pink Perfection and six Mauve Clusters. I planted the white and pink in the middle and three Mauve Clusters each side of them.

The soil was a little to sandy and quite hydrophobic so I dug through two bags of compost to help with water retention, once I had the in the garden I gave them a good water in with some seasol. Over the next couple of weeks I'll water them regularly until they are established and in few months I should start to see the effect of the plants in the path that I'm after.

The only other thing I will need to do is find something more permanent to edge the path to define the path from the garden itself.


No comments: