Monday, January 26, 2009

Summer Heat

Today Australia Day I spent outside in the garden trying to ready the garden for the expected heat over the coming days. In my fernery I put up an offcut of shade cloth that I had left over, this will give a double layer of protection to the maidenhair ferns, cyclamens, and other fine leaf ferns that normally get quite sunburned on thirty plus temperature days. My Calla lilies, seeding plants recently planted in a wheelbarrow and all potted plants have been moved into the fernery or in under cover from the hot burning sun. The tomatoes have been covered as best they can be, to try and save them being sunburned and ruined by the heat. Luckily for me it is our allotted watering day tomorrow and although I will be on my way to work by 5.45 am in the morning, I will get DH up before I leave so that he can give our gardens a little water before the sun comes up. I have done all the I can do to protect my plants, so all I can do now is hope for the best and hope my plants don't get sunburn like I did today trying to protect them.

No comments: